Saturday, January 7, 2012

Marking my First Treatment Goal: Radiation 1/4 done!

I didn't really grow up "setting goals" or "making new year's resolutions" but looking back, I think my parents imbued in me an instinctual sense of "getting things done and marking the moment when you are done."

 My Catholic upbringing, which came from mom, with weekly mass and catechism classes (homework, too, no less!) created a rhythm, routine and expectation which I believe has served me well over the years. Dad had a very strong work ethic and his example of how you could accomplish whatever you want with hard work and a plan truly influenced me.

 Born on a farm in Ohio, he early on knew he did not want to remain there and become a farmer.  He found work at J.C. Penney as a stock boy and many years later became a very successful manager of the first J.C. Penney store opened in Richmond.  I remember reading all of the books that Mr. Penney wrote about his founding of his store, especially Main Street Merchant and being inspired by the courage, initiative and hard work it took to realize his plan for a general store that would serve people in a little town in Wyoming.  That plan would grow into a huge company, one store at a time with people like my dad at the helm.  I have what I call "atta boy" letters hand-typed by Mr. Penney to my dad acknowledging his accomplishments with his store.  Very simple letters with no flowery words but the personal support from "the president" was clearly evident.  My dad saved the letters so I know they meant something to him.  They now mean something to me, as well.

I share all of this in today's musing because ever since I met with my doctor and he shared his "plan" for treatment (I have his diagram on a piece of computer paper which I am saving!), I have been aware that there is a plan and that I need to celebrate getting things done.  Some parts of the plan have been very painful--taking care of the jaundice, especially--and there have been other moments of pain this past month and a half, but with each step I could "check off" a part of the plan and that somehow has given me solace and a sense of accomplishment.

So, yesterday when I finished my 7th radiation treatment and the tech person wrote it on the card (I have a personalized treatment card with my picture, a check- in bar code and numbers that get initialed each visit), I had a sense of satisfaction that I was now one quarter of the way through my 28 radiation treatments. 

Today, also, Chuck and I will finally "get things done" with all of the Christmas decorations!  They all came down last weekend (except the tree--I wanted it up one more week to enjoy) and now we need to finish this "plan" and get it all back in the attic for next year's festivities.  I am very much looking forward to next year's Christmas and the New Year 2013!!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post and your "voice" comes through! I appreciate so much that we had such a great upbringing with parents who instilled in us important priorities and values that continue to help guide our lives. I too look forward to all us rejoicing on new years day 2013!
    I am especially grateful for older sisters that set a great example for me!
    Congratulations on reaching your goal and keep on posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Aunt Connie,

    I'm so glad you're writing this blog. I'm so far away that it's hard to know what's going on, now I can follow you and get to know you better. Thanks! I pray for you all the time and hope that you meet all the right people for your journey through cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Mom! As always, you inspire me and I learned something new from you today...another "Meemism" and you weren't even trying:) Love having a plan and setting goals...no surprise that it's importance came through in my upbringing as well!

    ReplyDelete