Sunday, November 27, 2011

On to Richmond...

Steph and family arrived Monday night, 11/21 for love, support and to celebrate Thanksgiving together.  My biopsy was scheduled for Tuesday in Richmond and Steph was driving me up.  Just as the GPS had us turn into St. Mary's Hospital and my pain pill was wearing off, Steph suddenly said after miles of putting up with cramps, "I'm going to pass out."  In my panic I called Chuck to apprise him of our situation which only served to make him more nervous since he remembered my state when last seen.   I took over driving us across the street to the valet parking and we both tumbled out failing to leave the valet fellow the keys!  We knew it was the beginning of "a day" (not good or bad , just a day...).  We staggered into the main hospital entrance, Steph wandered off to locate her own pain meds and I searched for a chair since the 6 in the lobby were already occupied.  I ended up in Admitting, gave them my name and next thing I knew, was being admitted to the hospital.

 A review of my doctor's letter indicated I was supposed to go to his office first and was not really ready to be admitted to the hospital.  So, our next adventure became trying to find the doctor's office which was supposedly on the 7th floor, but a trip there ended at Ambulatory Care--a beautiful, quiet, peaceful location--a far cry from our true destination at Suite 706 in the North Building adjacent to the hospital.  When I realized we had to go to a completely different building (the letter's instructions made absolutely no sense as far as I was concerned), I threw up my hands and refused to walk any further! The Ambulatory Care floor had a wonderful volunteer service so a wheelchair was ordered and away we went on a lovely tour past the coffee bar and gift shop all decorated for the holidays.  Our volunteer driver was quite gracious and fortunately knew exactly where she was going.

But, oh horror, upon opening the door to Suite 706 and Dr. Monroe's office, we wanted to be transported back to the oasis that was Ambulatory Care since all we saw was standing room only.  So many people in one small spot--unbelieveable! We were advised they did not have the referral from Anthem (which I had confirmed the day before) so I ordered Steph to move a chair outside the waiting room, and set up my command post.  Armed with my trusty cell phone, which fortunatately had all needed numbers, we soon had a faxed copy to the doctor. After an hour wait, we finally saw the doctor.  The doctor's exam revealed several things including a "biohazard sticker" on the outside of my shirt--where did that come from?!

Meeting with Dr. Monroe gave me more confidence that the proper stint could be implanted and that he could also do the biopsy at the same time.  I still have the sense of being wheeled into a supply closet to have both of these very important procedures performed! I was next taken into a recovery "closet" or so it seemed the room was so small and had great after care that night and next day.  Steph was there, but fortuntately, Shannon was too since Steph could not stay in the small space and Shannon just lives across the street from the hospital.  Kathy came over with a lovely cardinal robe which I remember through a haze; but even through a haze cardinals bring peace and love.  I felt wrapped in both that night.

Woke up Wednesday morning to the nurse saying, "Oh, no, not a fire drill!" which was a little nerve wracking but not serious.  My nurse had a great sense of humor and apologized for not having her magic wand.  I was additionally blessed with nurse Jewell whose voice was so comforting and calm.  She went with me to have a follow-up procedure to make sure all systems were working; she made me feel so relaxed and again, at peace. The care at St. Mary's was first rate.

Discharged early that evening and home we came.  Feeling groggy, a little crabby, but mostly thankful to be going home for Thanksgiving, we drove home having survived our "day" in Richmond.

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that you will be able to keep us current ,not only on what's happening but on your feelings as you go through it.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete